Monday, August 03, 2009

Jam Season


We have an incredibly huge field of wild raspberries on our property, our road and down the street. It is a serious crop. We have picked 12 cups of raspberries the past two days- 12 cups! I love raspberries. I have always cherished eating the few we have grown in the past, or picked, especially since it usually takes so long to fill a basket. This year we have eaten bowls of them, picking a few before breakfast for our yogurt or before dinner as a dessert.
I have never dreamed of making jam with them before, they have always been too precious, tiny bits of yummy goodness. With literally baskets filled, I dared to dream. The counters are filled with raspberry jam. And I think I will head out picking again tomorrow....cause I can.

4 comments:

Karen said...

oh i am so jealous of a raspberry patch. We were biking yesterday and the kids nicknamed that section Raspberry Trail because there were so many bushes. It was our slowest bike ride ever because we pedalled for a minute and hopped off to feast.

amanda said...

that is so great! we have picked so many raspberries this year, i've thought several times that it would be such a treat to have our own :)

ponddweller said...

Our smaller patches are producing also.. last year though it seems we had none? I wonder what makes it change year from year... rain? who knows we had lots of that last year too!!

gardening gal said...

I remember reading somewhere that raspberries alternate years for producing. We have lots of plants with no berries.
Its weird. This rain has given my peppers root rot. I am pretty miffed.