Wednesday, August 26, 2009

How does your garden grow?







I started gardening when I was in university, I called it my wonder garden because I would put the plants or seeds in cross my fingers and wonder what would grow. A friend who is also a serious garden used to call me a kamikaze gardener! Every year I plant a garden I learn a little more, I read a little more and while I am always in wonder at the growth of my garden it is less to do with crossing my fingers and more about how great it is to have our own food at the table.
It is a busy time; picking, gathering, canning, freezing. With all the rain we have had the crop hasn't been as plentiful as I had hoped. The tomatoes and peppers had some root rot problems and have produced very little. This has been a big disappointment and a bit of a shocker as they are usually my bumper crops. Hmm. The lettuce, onions and herbs have done fabulous and the cauliflower and pumpkins are coming along beautifully.
Nature has given us a huge crop of raspberries, chokecherries and different plants for remedies. It has been a huge learning this year with lots of new plants and more accessible ones for us to harvest.
Our fall plans include building more beds, for more crops. I would love to give lasagna gardening a try.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

What do you do with your parsley? I'm thinking of drying mine. Is that right???

Love the canoe picture at the top!

gardening gal said...

We have been using it with garlic in our butter for corn, potatoes, and other cooking. I also put it in salad, quiche, dips, dressings, pasta. I have dried some, hanging it in a dry dark space (those things being key or it can mold). I know you can do it in your oven too at 100 but I haven't tried that with parsley.
Good luck!