Saturday, August 01, 2009

Any Other Name


The smell of a rose takes me back to childhood. We had a few rose bushes at the front and side yards, and their fragrance greeting me as I entered our house. Rose water was something I remember fondly making. The intense yet gentle smell that roses have bottled just for me. We would use it for potions, perfume and face wash. This past Christmas my uncle in England sent me a package of organic facial treatments; rose water tonic was one of them. It totally flashes me back each time I applied it on my face.
When it comes to growing roses, it feels like a lot of pressure. That they need a special kind of care I know nothing about. So, while I love gardening, roses aren't something I plant. In our meadow though, there are wild roses growing. All the beauty and smell without any of the work- that's a good deal!
So we have been making rose water. Aria is enjoying it as much as I continue too.
Rose Water
a few handfuls of rose petals
cover with water
leave to steep for one to two weeks
take out the petals
the water is wonderful first thing in the morning (or any time really!) washed over your face with a cotton ball

2 comments:

Karen said...

We started our calendula oil today and hoping to do lavender water this week. Your jar looks so pretty in the window.

gardening gal said...

LOL
our counters are the same- cocoons, calendula oil, jewelweed, lavender drying!