Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Traditions

There are so many Christmas traditions I cherish. Some of those traditions fell into place on their own without any guidance from me. Others were very intentional. When Chris and I were first married I bought a book about the Nativity story. While the story telling is simple and the pictures are beautiful, I wouldn't say its an exceptional book in any way. We have since added other books telling the Christmas story I enjoy much more.
We read from this very classic version every year. But the tradition that accompanies the book which we really cherish it, is the writing we add to it. Every year we add a few sentences inside its covers with the highlights of that years holidays; new babes, no power, the loss of a loved one, mountains of snow, the different homes and provinces we have been in. We read through the history each Christmas eve, remembering holidays past and the memories which each hold of those days. Its a beautiful way to capture the warmth of the season.

We have a wonderful collection of holiday books we love reading through the season. A few of the more non traditional ones we cherish are
listening to Stuart McLean's stories of Dave and his zany holidays
reading allowed (and bringing me to tears every year!) The Best Christmas Pageant Ever

No comments: