Sunday, October 25, 2009

Cooking Over a Wood Stove


With the cooler autumn weather we have been enjoying the wood stove for warmth. The stove is in the basement so even though it provides the whole house with warmth, because it is out of sight most of the time it is also out of mind. But I have been thinking a lot lately of how I can make more use of it for cooking or harnessing the heat.
We have had bags of apples for pies, sauce, cakes, fritters, the list endless. The kids love dried apple and I have made them in the past by having thinly sliced apples on hand to put in the oven whenever I have finished baking. I pop the trays of sliced apples to make use of the heat. This does work, it takes a few baking sessions though. To put them in the oven on their own always feels like a waste of energy.


So I put two and two together, strung the apples on strings horizontally above the wood stove while the fire was on and viola!!! beautiful dried apples. I wished I had taken a picture of them strung up because they really did look beautiful. We think we might try some pears next.

1 comment:

Karen said...

We tried Molly's dehydrator. We made cranberry dust.
Apples were okay but the kids have eaten them all already.
How nice you can make them all winter long!
K