Thursday, October 05, 2006

three...two ....one...BLAST OFF!!!!!!!




























Last Christmas Ben got a Rocket kit that is fuelled by vinnegar and baking soda. After the holidays, Ben decided to wait for the perfect time to launch it and it was stored away. We have been talking about the solar system, taking a tour so to speak. During a discussion the other day about how scientists gathered information about the planets, differenet types of space machines and travel in outerspace, Ben mentioned his rocket. The perfect time for launching it came!
After reading the lengthy safety warnings and instructions we gathered our material and headed outside. We assembled the rocket following the directions exactly...but no launch. We tried again with more vinnegar and baking soda.....still no launch. This time when I took it apart to retry- it popped like a champagne bottle all over me- I was covered in white chunks of baking soda and vinnegar. Despite my temporary blindness we tried again. We filled up the rocket and set it down. After reading the trouble shooting we decided to try some patience and just wait a little while longer to see if we would suceed. It was cold out, I was tired, I admit I probably was short on patience for this rocket taking so long. I picked it up to shake it some more and ..........POP ...ZOOOM!!!!!!! The rocket flew (while I was holding the base) from the front yard, over the maple tree, the first fence, over the second and almost on the main road!!!! I squealled with excitment as the kids roared with laughter and amazement, it was a blast!!!!
When dad he asked why I smelled like fish and chips...which lead to a demonstration for him, which was almost as exciting!

No comments: