Sunday, September 20, 2009

squelch....squish...squelch...

can you hear that?

that sound is me in my kitchen. It's canning, preserving, freezing time. It is one of those crazy times I really enjoy, seeing the fruits of my labour lining the pantry or filling the freezer, but it also feels a bit like a mad dash trying to fit the work into pockets of time. No complaints though, I do love it.
O.k., one complaint. That noise. squelch, squish, squelch. It comes from my kitchen floor. It is a sticky mess, trapping things as they pass through the area (I think I even caught one of the kids!) , then spreading as things are freed.
I have lots to share; country fair fun, a trip to see friends and family, fall clean up,crafting for the nature exchange, an awesome star program we attended and chicken despair. Despite trying I haven't been able to find a pause button on life, it would make life so much easier to catch up. Darn. Until that happens, (and assuming I can be freed from my kitchen floor )I will begin to post past things below. Thanks for your patience (especially you mum !).

I love to look back and see how much more (hopefully) we are preserving each year.

In the freezer
2 quarts of green beans
6 cups of fresh corn
12 jars of pesto
6 bags of apple pie filling
2 bags of chokecherry pie filling
4 bags of cooked and pureed pumpkin

In the pantry
10 jars of raspberry jam
11 jars of crab apple jelly
6 jars of red pepper jelly
10 jars of ginger pear jam
8 jars of apricot jam
6 of peach jam

There are plans to get together with a friend to do some tomato canning. Plum preserves and blueberries are next in line. I have also been inspired to try peach salsa. Some will be birthday or Christmas gifts, the rest won't be hard for my family to enjoy!

10 comments:

Penelope said...

Oh what a wonderful array of canned/frozen goods! Care to post your recipe for red pepper jelly when (if) you have a free minute??

:)

Karen said...

wondered where you got to.
tonight I'm doing peach jam, probably some more salsa and bread and butter pickles

what's up with the choke cherry pie filling? lol
K

gardening gal said...

Looks like canning is the thing happening in everyone's homes!!!

I would be happy to post the recipe Penelope in the next few days, I bought some brie today and am excited to have some with the jelly!
We have tons of choke cherries, the kids had a blast picking them (which meant less for our visiting bear and the chickens who are pooping pits on my porch!). Cooked with some sugar and lemon they are pretty good! who knew!

Karen said...

Offer Kev pies make w choke cherries and spelt flour. He'll love you forever.....

gardening gal said...

i was thinking of a fruit cake with kamut flour and choke cherries...kind of a birthday/christmas gift- no?

Karen said...

PERFECT!
I'll get his mother's recipe for you.

(God is about to strike me down - I bequeth you my peaches)

ponddweller said...

oh... I have so many tomatoes trying to rippen Em!! I just cut about 30 from the vines not including the hundreds of Tinny tim's. The warm weather for the next couple of weeks I am trying to let the tomatoes go a little longer. All said and done we should have about 100 or so to work with!

How was the zucchini bread I set you up with? Don't lie tell me the truth it was my first ever attempt! I have about 8 more zucchinis to go.. so thats about 24 plus loaves of bread.. sheesh!

Talk soon! Share some of that raspberry jam for peets sake!

Hi Grammy Jan! haha..

Steve

ponddweller said...

You girls are making me hungry! LOL! I need a good home bread recipe.. More along the lines of flat bread.. something I can make and freeze and bring out over time.. help! help! haha..

Steve

Karen said...

ack - bequeath I mean
wonder if that would hold up in a court of law.

apparently you are I are beat hands down by C.G. who with her mum made something like 500 cans of stuff......
even if I divided every one of my jars into those itty bitty little ones I don't know that I would get to 500

clearly we have a goal for next year
lol

gardening gal said...

lol- we could plan a canning retreat...or marathon!

steve the bread was great! it didn't make it past the drive home :) very yummy!
you can make zucchini chocolate cake too.

very excited about the tomatoes :) your's did so much better than mine.