Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Feeling the Crock Pot Love












Fall= Crock pot

I don't usually use the crock pot during the summer, but the autumn I begun to dream about all the yummy warm goodness I can cook up in it. I dusted it off and brought it out this week. I cooked three breakfasts and one pot of chili for dinner in it. The ease the crock pot brings us on slow mornings or over scheduled evenings, is one of many reasons I love it. The way in which the house fills slowly with the delicious aromas of the food bubbling away, it is comforting and homey. Ahh.

I thought I would share our three current favorite crock pot breakfasts. It works well for breakfast because the kids can all help themselves to a warm cooked breakfast as they trickle down stairs.


These are my three favorites.

Oatmeal (the basic)

1 1/2 cups steel cut oats

4 cups water

1 tsp cinnamon
Mix in the crock pot, put on low heat before bed- ready for you when you wake up!

I often add in one or more of the following before I turn it on
-1 cup of chopped dates
-1 cup of raisins (although my guys don't like warm raisins)
-1 cup of cranberries
-1-2 cup chopped and peeled apple or pear

In the morning I often add some of the following
-almond milk
-coconut milk (a big hit lately)
-coconut
-nuts
-honey or brown sugar
-berries
-jam

Blueberry Syrup for Pancakes (or yogurt, on fruit, on leftover oatmeal)
2-3 cups blueberries (or whatever berries you have, fresh or frozen)

1 cups water

1/3 cup sugar

2tsps lemon juice

mix, put crock pot on low heat for 2 -3 hours

Apple Sauce
8 apples, peeled and quartered

1cups of water

2-3 tsp of cinnamon

1/4 cup of brown sugar

mix in crock pot, put on low heat before bed, warm chunky apple sauce ready for you when you get up!

a year of crock pot recipes

a discussion of crock pot cooking at beauty that moves

5 comments:

Penelope said...

Oooohhh, thanks for posting these!! I'd never thought of doing apple sauce in a crock pot...definitely going to try that!

Steph said...

thanks for the links, I've recently declared Thursdays as crockpot day as it is our going-to-town day and I've been searching for new recipes. I've never used the crockpot for breakfast but I'm going to try the oatmeal tonight - good idea!

gardening gal said...

Yay crockpots!
Enjoy the apple sauce Penelope- Pear and plum sauce has been on my mind.
Steph my mum passed on an easy dish done in the crockpot that has been a hit with our new meat eaters (there are currently two different groups). And its sooo easy.
Block of cream cheese broken up, jar of salsa, a few chicken breasts covered in the sauce, all the crock pot- cook on high for 2-4 hours depending on your pot or on low for the day- we serve it with rice or in tortillias. So yummy. That is our town day activity meal.

Steph said...

that sounds really good, we just canned some salsa the other day, I'll have to try it!

sm said...

gonna try this tonight -
with my pampered chef apple peeler/corer thing, a few quick spins and i'll be done

:) thanks