Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Red Pepper Jelly

For Penelope and Jen


We have been loving the Red Pepper Jelly we made. I must confess we have tried a few different recipes over the years but the jelly consistency has never been quite right. I was so excited to have this red pepper jelly and the crab apple jelly we made turn out with such a wonderful jelly texture that I called my mum in celebration at 11pm just to share my joy! It's the little things - right?

Most recipes aren't like this one. Many recipes suggest you press the juice out of the peppers or use a cheese cloth bag for easy removal of the pepper pieces. This recipe has you leave them in. I loved how easy that made it and the bits have such a soft consistency after being cooked that really you don't notice. Red peppers are on sale this week for .49 cents a pound, so I might be making some more!

So here it is

3 1/2 cups finely chopped red pepper (careful to keep the seeds out) you can hand chop or use a processor


5 cups of sugar


1 1/2 cupsapple cider vinegar (you can use white vinegar, but I think this brings out the flavour even more)


4 ounces of liquid pectin (for the type I bought it meant 1 and a half pouches) and NOT the powdered kind

Mix the peppers, vinegar, sugar and heat until it is a rolling boil. Stir at a boil for 6 mins. Stir in the liquid pectin, boil for 4 more minutes. Skim foam off. Ladle the jelly into jars leaving 1/2 inch head space at the top of the jars. Put the sealed jars in the canner for 5 mins.

It is great served over cream cheese for crackers or dipping, as a topper to warm brie, as a side for leftover turkey. Enjoy!






similar to one we have used in the past for crushing the juice out of the peppers.

8 comments:

Penelope said...

Thank you so much! Can't wait to try it!

gardening gal said...

Sorry it took so long- let me know how it goes!

Joanna said...

I am blog-hopping tonight snacking on a great big slab of cream cheese, some crackers, and a bowl of red pepper jelly that I made from this recipe earlier in the week - FABULOUS!! It looks like a jewel in the jars, it gelled well, and it tastes divine. Thanks for the recipe.
Joanna

gardening gal said...

Awesome! that is great to hear you tried it and it turned out great! and to have you stop by.

Karen said...

How many jars does this make?
tx
K

gardening gal said...

ooohhh,,,,i think it was 8 jam jars
but you have found out now!

Joanna said...

I entered this jelly in the fall fair, and won first prize!! Do you mind if I post a picture on my blog and link it to the recipe on your blog?
Joanna

gardening gal said...

Of course not, I don`t mind at all! congratulations, fairs are sooo great!