Saturday, July 11, 2009

Pond tales















A friend of mine recently posted a link to cards depicting the life cycle of frogs. I printed off the cards, put them on the table the other night. I had not thought of what we might do with them, if anything, I just put them out. When I got up in the morning, the cards and the kids were gone. They had headed to the pond and were finding from it, each of the frog stages. Those guys, I tell you, they amaze me. They come up with such great ideas.
And really so does our pond. Aria pulled out this insect, which I was told was a water scorpion. I went to get thee bug book and the camera, to find out for myself what a water scorpion was.
Structurally, a Water Scorpion is built almost exactly like a
Giant Water Bug, but on a much slimmer plan. To look at them,
however, you'd think you were gazing at an underwater praying
mantid. Water Scorpions do indeed catch their buggy prey with
their forelegs....they have piercing, sucking mouth parts...Amazingly,
they can get up out of the water and fly to a new pond when the need
arises.
from our bug book
With every bug or extra large tadpole we pull out, my amazement grows....and Chris' fear of the pond does too!

2 comments:

Karen said...

Thought you guys might be interested in this:

http://neighborhoodnature.wordpress.com/2009/06/23/our-pet-water-scorpion-and-a-new-kind-of-mosquito-problem/

gardening gal said...

Very cool thanks for passing it on!