Tuesday, July 21, 2009

News Flash

A bear was in the yard today!!!!





Home alone, sitting on the front porch, mid day, I look up to see a black bear by our shed. 50 feet away. It took me a moment for it to sink in, as it stared at me. I went inside, said "wow" out loud a few times and grab the camera. At first I took the photos through the window, not sure where the bear would head. It checked out the bird feeder; which we haven't been filling in the summer (phew). Then it headed over to the hammock. The bear stayed there for about ten minutes; rolling around on it's back, swinging and swatting it, leaning on it. It was very humorous to watch. When it was finished playing it went down the driveway to cross the road.
Very cool.
Although the rest of the afternoon I kept peeking around, wondering if that branch breaking was a return visit. I was re-counting the chickens, and feeling thankful the kids were with Dad visiting for the day.
It has been a tough summer to date for the bears. There are lots of sightings and encounters in and around town, more than normally. With the heavy rainfall, less sun, it has meant the berries are less abundant and late. The bears are having to search for food harder.
As cool as they are to see, I hope the other sightings aren't in our yard.

4 comments:

the momma said...

uumm ... WOW !!!

Karen said...

emily says: wow cool bear! We want to come see chickens soon!

gardening gal said...

sounds great emily! the beginning of august works :)

sm said...

ya, this is why we come in the winter... or with bear bells from our heads to our toes