Monday, July 13, 2009

Our Newest Addition

I get giddy over a stack of newly borrowed library books. The books themselves excite me, but its more than that. A whole pile of possibilities. Books on all different topics; travelling in the Himalayas to doll clothes, cooking for more than 20 people to creating a permanent lean too. Endless. Each one having the chance to lead me to something wonderful. The crafts I learn, could become a new hobby I love, turning into gifts I love giving. Reading a recipe that takes me out of my box of cooking skills, that my family enjoys, soon to become part of a family tradition. A story that takes us to a far away land, to become a land we create here in our living room, spending many days wrapped up making costumes, props and happy memories.
Granted, many books are a flop. They don't catch my interest, they aren't written well, there isn't time to fit them in. Not all of them lead me to something amazing. But it's the possibility, the path that may be created.
My in-laws gave us their canoe. It wasn't being used and they knew we would love it. Which we do. Totally. I have a huge smile just thinking about it. I have always wanted one, now that we live a hop away from a lake and a drive from hundreds of others, it feels like a perfect fit.
The canoe is like the newly borrowed library books. I am excited by the actual canoe, learning to become a more skilled paddler. But it is more than that. It's the possibilities. What it might mean for us, or lead too. That's the most exciting part. Will we discover nature in a different way, will we create traditions around when or where we journey, perhaps there will be special adventures alone or with friends. Will we dare to venture on a day long trip, overnight or even become passionate portagers? Maybe cooking on a riverbank will be our thing, become expert map readers of water ways. Perhaps there will be something amusing or startling that happens on a journey we will name the canoe after that. Maybe. It's possible.
We went out in it yesterday for the first time. We divided into two groups, taking it slow, giving everyone a chance. The provincial park close by seemed like the perfect place to start. Along our journey we saw a beaver or a muskrat, we weren't quite close enough to tell. We worked through some tough turns, while some learned to paddle and others were refreshed. We talked about the gorgeous surroundings. We made plans lots of them. A door opened.
It's exciting all right.

3 comments:

amanda said...

We borrowed my parents' canoe to bring next week - we can't wait to go canoeing with you guys!

Karen said...

Oh and its YELLOW.
I'm so envious.

What a great gift.

gardening gal said...

Yay! that's great amanda! we are looking forward to you coming.

It is- we totally lucked out!