Sunday, September 10, 2006

Story Time





I have such fond memories of read aloud time. I remember being tucked into bed sometimes on my own, sometimes with my sister, listening to my mum or dad read alound chapter books before bed. Each night we would anticipate hearing the next chapter, finding out if the little white horse was spotted or whether the mystery was solved. Being read to seems to free your mind to fully imagine what's going on, to paint the pictures. I have a warm connection with those stories still, excited to share them with my own kids.
When Chris and I travelled we often read outloud to each other, taking turns until we fell asleep or finished the book. There was one time in London England while we waited for the train station to open, it was 2 am ish and we were spending the night on the street. Chris began reading out loud (on tribal cannibalism-lol-anthropology major!), within minutes other people who were waiting and homeless people gathered around to listen. A story connects people, sharing in an imaginary world, a person's life, possibilities.
The Eden Mills' Writer's Festival was today. This was the first year we were able to attend. We were excited to have one of our favorite author's in attendance; Aubrey Dasvis, who wrote Bone Button Borsch, Enormous Potatoe and Bagels from Benny. The later is one of the stories he told for the the group, a story that touches my heart. The festival takes place in a small town, some stories read along the river, another in someone's backyard, one amongst the trees. The sun shone brightly, we relaxed on a blanket, climbed trees, swung on a swing set while enjoying being read too. There is something wonderful about being read to.

No comments: