Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Ragged Falls iced over
















This is a trail friends took us on when we first visited, and we have been back many times, although this was the first time in the winter. Wow. I think I loved it more in the winter than the fall, which is crazy because I love the fall. It was a gorgeous day, that sun ( I just can't say it enough) was amazing. As soon as we got there the kids took off on their own trails, exploring the rocks covered in thick ice, sliding down ice covered hills, following tracks and tricking other hikers with their bird calls.
The actual falls still raged under the 3-5 foot thick ice which we could watch at different points. At other areas we were able to walk right across. The trees surrounded the falls were covered in frost and icicles. I am sure we will be heading back soon.

3 comments:

amanda said...

that looks so amazing!

Karen said...

Beautiful!

ponddweller said...

Wow - haha how many times I have been there and I introduced you people to it - but I have never done in the winter. Pretty cool!