Sunday, February 15, 2009

Crafting, lots and lots of Crafting!

While some of it has been for birthdays (they are none stop!), some for valentine's day, there has also been lots just 'cause' crafting. I think the tease of warmer weather, the longer days, the gorgeous sunshine on our faces and through the windows has been inspiring us to get busy with projects. I thought I would share a little of what we have been enjoying creating.

Some of the favorite crafts we made for valentines were heart shaped buttons and tea bag holders.
The buttons were made from fimo, a hard clay that softens quickly when you mold it and heat it with your hands. We rolled the clay into balls, pressed them flat and shaped them into heart. Then using a toothpick we poked two button holes into each center. The fimo needs to bake at a low temperature in the oven to harden them. They are super cute, and the kids were able to create them on their own.
The tea bag holder is something I saw on another blog, but alas I couldn't find the one I used for the pattern. I did find another blog which has a description of how to make this tea bag wallet which is very similar. I always feel a little bit intimidated by sewing because I think I should have more background information to do it...but most of the time I am surprised by how well I think it turns out. This was one of those times.
The kids got new corkers. In an extremely short amount of time they have gone through 3 large balls of yarn with the determination to sew the strips together to make a sharing blanket! How great!
Aria got her loom out after a long break and has made a few panels for doll pillows. There was a great article on weaving in the latest addition of Living Crafts magazine which has fueled even more enthusiasm into the weaving that's already been happening. The project is not only fabulous but the author talks about the simplicity and beauty of weaving, the breathing in and out, the interconnectedness of the fabric. So, not having my own loom and not feeling fully right about sneaking Aria's while she sleeps :P, I have made one out of card board and been loving that simplicity while experimenting.

Elias has been spending quite a bit of time on the front porch or in the garage with tools building with wood. He has carved and put together an axe and an airplane. He seems to have a whole process; pondering on what the wood might be, carving, glueing, sanding, carving some more, painting, varnishing, thinking of who to gift it to, or whether he should keep it. It is very interesting to see someone else go through this process, one so unique to that individual.

I love that the life path I have chosen has exposed me to these beautiful arts, but also that I get to do them beside my children, who inspire and encourage.


No comments: