Saturday, February 07, 2009

a pocketful of birthdays





































Its tradition for my family to group birthdays together and celebrate them all at once, which makes even more sense since we moved. So January and beginning of February means four birthdays to celebrate. We got together for dinner at my sisters on the Saturday night. We had cake, the traditional birthday hat and gift exchange. As always lots of thoughtful gifts (we are just such a nice bunch).
My mum turned 60 this year (and is happy not to be having twins) so it was a special one. The kids worked really hard over several weeks making a collection of cards for her to use and but them in a box they decoupaged with tissue paper. I made a small quilt (my first!), my sister gave her a great watercolour set and my dad some jewelry.
On the Sunday we had a surprise party with my family and family and friends. We had a brunch style meal and lots of mingling. Most of my parents friends have been in their lives since we were teenagers and longer. So in a way I got to play catch up too and show off my kids.
I am blessed to truly treasure my mum, our friendship and celebrate her. She is pretty swell.

4 comments:

Karen said...

I agree she's pretty swell, and that you are both very lucky to have each other.
If she's reading...Happy birthday!

Looks like you had a good day.
K

gardening gal said...

she does read but she keeps forgetting who she signs in as and so can't comment....must be age! :)

grammyjan said...

Isn't it amazing you give the best years of your life to your kids and they cast you aside when you become advanced in maturity and wisdom and become a threat.
Who says I can't post? (must go and write this password down somewhere safe)
Thanks for the wishes Karen

gardening gal said...

whats amazing is you are on! welcome :) I knew I could bait you into posting..he he :)