Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Nut Pilaf

For Lee, as per request, my super easy, yummy nut pilaf from The Ultimate Vegetarian Cookbook by Roz Denny

Ingredients
1 1/4 cup basmati rice
1 onion chopped
1 garlic clove crushed
1 large carrot grated
2 tb oil
1tsp cumin
1 tsp caradom
2 cups veg. broth
1 bay leaf
salt and ground pepper
1/2 cups unsalted nuts - we always use cashews
fresh parsley or coriander (if we have it in :)

In wok or shallow pan gently fry onion, garlic and carrot in the oil for a few minutes

Stir in the rice and spices and cook for another minute or two so that the grains are coated in oil

Pour int he stock, add the bay leaf and season with salt and pepper.

Bring to a boil, cover and simmer very gently for about ten minutes

Remove from the heat without lifting the lid- this helps the rice to firm up and cook further ( I always forget and remove it lol )

Take out the bay leaf.

Stir in the nuts and check the seasoning. Scatter in the parsley or coriander in the amount you enjoy. We serve it with salad.
It tastes great reheated and everyone in my house enjoys it so that makes it even more of a hit in my book!

4 comments:

Karen said...

Do you think this would freeze? I am thinking about the food program
K

amanda said...

is that the dish you made when we were over?

gardening gal said...

I do think it would freeze really well, I would just leave out the nuts until I was about to serve it. It reheats in the microwave or skillet really well. I have never heated it in the oven like a casserole- i think it would go a bit dry. I thik it would be a yummy dish for the program, the spices aren't at all too strong.

It is amanda! I forgot we had it when you were here! It was nice chatting :)

amanda said...

great! i was going to ask you for the recipe. yumm!!