Thursday, January 08, 2009

The joy of giving


When I was about 13 years old, my sister and I pooled our money together to buy my parents a Christmas gift. I can clearly remember going to Zellers together, searching out the perfect one, spending every penny we had, wrapping it up and absolutely dying with anticipation and joy waiting to give it to them. We were so happy to give this gift, an electric blanket. It really didn't matter what it was, it was the thought we put into it, the saving and excitement we felt. It really was a gift for us to give them this gift.
I am so thankful to have had many wonderful gifts of giving, with joy.
This Christmas, the gift that was the easiest to make, cost the least, gave me great joy. Aria loves to dress up; numerous times a day, 'an old fashion woman' being one of her favorite characters. With great excitement I made her a muff. She was thrilled. She uses it for dress up, but also for going into town, when mitts aren't a necessity.
The kids had some joyful giving of their own. Which as their mum, melted my heart. To hear I just can't wait to give them this gift, I loved making this for them, I think this is the most perfect gift I could give, was a gift in itself.
Aria made me earrings with large bells, completely on her own from a bead kit she has. She was jumping with excitement as I opened it. Ben sewed and decorated with jewels a wool felt sword holder (scabbard?) for Elias. In secrecy he measured it and put it all together. Elias made Aria a cape for her and a matching one for Eleanor; a special doll. He was over the moon to watch her dress in them. What a blessing to be part of such treasured giving.

2 comments:

Karen said...

How sweet!

i always wanted to go skating with a muff - it always looked so lovely in picture boks and on Christmas cards. I'd probably break my neck when I fell :P

gardening gal said...

although it might have been a good gift for next year....:P