Thursday, January 22, 2009

How Come?

Why when Dad is gone for literally over half of this month why does our toddler resumes to flushing something(s) down the toilet and clogging it (of course we unpacked a plunger and put it somewhere really handy....of course we did...hmm). That this is the time our brand new washing machine breaks and despite being under warranty will take the only technician in our town two weeks before he can even look at it. Despite my plea and explanation of four kids and promise of cookies he just can't come any sooner. Of course this is also the time that we have a night time vomiting party and we have run out of sheets.
How come moving to a smaller town has meant the phone lines cut out all the time? I am often in the middle of a sentence during a phone conversation and it goes dead. Because we are also waiting for the internet tower to connect us to this century we are currently on dial up....which also means the internet connection cuts out frequently.

How come I was excited about having my own bathroom, I don't seem to get less visitors. And how come I was excited for the kids to have their own bathroom....it can be really scary in there!

How come I forget how much fun I can have with the kids, that a genuinely good time is had by all if I just let go of any expectations? Snow shoeing and tubing today I laughed so hard. How come I hadn't thought my kids would give me such great companionship? They really do.

4 comments:

Karen said...

Hey you.

I think it might be time for the satellite phone/internet connection.

You amaze me with your grace under pressure and your ability to pivot and see things from a different perspective.

And the swimming thing?
Only you..only you.
You need a bathing suit you can wow them with. Want me to start crocheting? :)

miss you
K

sm said...

ah-ha!
that's what happened to our phone call.
and look at me - first time posting a comment on a blog. ever.

gardening gal said...

Thank you for the crocheted swimsuit...I think tripping on a pinecone, having the only baby/toddler, being the only mama in the pool, is getting me noticed! look at me go :)


shannon- yeah so nice to have you comment- the phone is really frustrating, while I make light of it, it is over the top frustrating. Apparently its the norm all year round- whats with that.

ponddweller said...

haha... get used to that Emma, power going out, internet going out, phone going out.. the first weekend Jen and I moved here we had no power for 3 days! Its just part of it really.
Working on a computer all day - when it goes out I look at it as a blessing of sorts.. grab my book in the winter or head outside the rest of the year... its all good! really trust me!