Wednesday, January 16, 2008

A sweater so sweet



Before Christmas I came across a video on Martha Stewart Crafts which showed the most beautiful cardigans. I have absolutely fallen in love with the very sweet designs, and can imagine my four kids all running around in similar versions. I fell so in love with them and was easily motivated by Shai's first birthday to try my first creation. I originally began with the intention of crafting a vest, but along the way this changed into a cardigan.


I choose a sweater which was earthy tones and a blend of bulky yarns. I was pleased with the texture after I felted it in the washing machine. The cutting, assembling and sewing part was incredibly easy and really this is saying a lot coming from me. I am not really comfortable with sewing. It has been something I have always just muddled through, patterns require things I don't know what to do. If I am sewing I totally wing it and it usually turns out. So I was pleasantly (really!) surprised to have it turn out so well and with no problems along the way.


The needle felted designs seemed to take on a life of itself. The colours in the wool called for a nature scene and the colours of wool somewhat decided what type of nature. The tree, rocks and the sun seemed to be perfect, and even more so with the felted trim around the cuffs and collar.


I am thrilled with the result (did I mention the ease of this project?). I have another birthday for my not so little boy who is hoping for something similar....of course mama is already creating.

1 comment:

Penelope said...

Wow, I am in awe! Great job! I've always wanted to try felting. I love it and I even have a felting kit, but I haven't tried it yet - I feel a little overwhelmed by it. You make it look so easy :)