Tuesday, January 29, 2008

It's Your Day

He's 9 today. My first baby, it's his birthday today. My first. My very first baby. Had the person I am today, given the self I was then all the information I have now, I still wouldn't change a thing. The over packed diaper bag containing everything from four extra outfits to six different educational toys, the long (really long) nursing sessions, and the fretting. The lessons I have learned, the struggles we worked through, the growing we did- together. My first.

I remember my mum looking at me with this intensely emotion filled face telling me how special it was being the first. How she had discovered parenthood through me, how as the first I was the one she made mistakes with. She talked about how each of us (my sister and I) brought something different into her life as a mother. At the time I thought she was being mushy, I totally didn't understand what she was talking about. Now, I give Elias that same sentimental grin.

What an amazing first you are. Gentle, kind, observant, loving. Happy birthday Beautiful Boy.
While Elias has many things he is interested in, he genuinely loves a surprise for a gift. I originally planned on making him a felted vest, but upon realizing it would need to be a patchwork vest due to the shrinkage of the material I changed my mind (he's not big into patchwork). I did find a beautiful piece of leather which he loved, to make into a vest. I also finished a doll, we made the body together in the fall and it was never finished. He was thrilled. Chris and Elias spend a lot of time chatting about music, visiting guitar shops, playing around on the guitars. Last week he came home, the guitars restrung and tuned, an amplifier for the electric one, a bunch of cool pics and a poster with guitars and cords on it. It couldn't have been better timed with Elias getting his own room. Its amazing to see how connected Chris and Elias are, to have Chris jump right in there with a gift that they love to share together.

1 comment:

Karen said...

looks like you all made him a wonderful day
Happy Birthday Elias!