Wednesday, January 09, 2008

A Popcorn Party

I am a Willow. I can bend.

That has been my mantra for awhile now. It is something I have been saying when I am feeling rigid, which has been more often lately. I think it is partly coming over the holiday hump and adjusting to the new stage of a walking baby. That adjustment to change is taking a little longer than normal, or perhaps its just the ebb before the flow. Regardless, I like my mantra and am sticking with it. :P
That said, its wonderful when unexpected shifts cross your path.
Today we visited some friends, whom my boys love to play with. They are close in age and share many of the same interests. The mum's company I really enjoy. The visit was just what was needed for all of us, especially me. The kids played for awhile running around, followed by holding their family pets; tarantula, corn snakes and guinea pig. Next was one of the highlights. A popcorn party. Picture an old skillet like popcorn maker, without the bowl lid, a blanket(as a safety barrier from hot kernels) and six or so kids holding bowls to catch the flying popcorn. It was as fun as it sounds. After a few sessions of the crazy popping, the kids threw the popcorn around and ate it up! They then went outside to run off their energy.
Perhaps that sounds as though it would be a huge mess. It wasn't. Some sweeping and it was all good.
It was just what I needed. By it's very nature a popcorn party requires relaxation, going with the flow. I was a willow blowing in the wind. It was great to feel that shift and be in the flow again.
Thanks for the party.

and can you believe it was a day I didn't bring my camera...that's part of the whole I have a baby turning into a toddler adjustment too. one thing at a time. i know you can use your imagination and picture the popcorn flying!

No comments: