Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Finally!


Raising and keeping chickens has been a crazy and fun journey! I am the first to admit I am smitten over my ladies. Although the road to collecting eggs hasn't been an easy one; a raccoon break in, cold winter nights, short days, inexperienced care takers. We have had an egg here and there, each one cherished, but I am thrilled to announce that we are collecting eggs on a regular basis. In fact the kids came running in the other day, they had found a secret stash in the far corner of the coop. They brought in 12 eggs!

Apparently the hens prefer to lay on the straw bails and not their nesting boxes filled with straw. Some talented people are willing to go the extra mile for their ladies to lay, I am thankful now not to have too :) Regardless of where they lay their eggs, we are so excited to just have eggs. We can say YES! we have chickens with pride, and wow do we make a mean quiche!

1 comment:

Karen said...

YAY for the chickens.