Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Celebrating



Such a sweet way to celebrate International Women's Day, listening to an an array of talented artists, including my daughter. For year's I attended coffee house style concerts organized by grass root groups spreading awareness and fostering community among women. These concerts filled me with inspiration and entertained me. It has been quite a few years since I have been to one. Having kids and a very different schedule has made room for different things. Good things, but different.
Aria and I rushed over to the hall, having gulped dinner down and leaving the house in a hurry 10 minutes behind schedule. We made it in time, I had just enough time to find a seat before the opening piece. Aria's choir was on next; singing a piece about Winnie Mandela and her strength and This Little Light of Mine. They were beautiful. She came to sit with me after, cuddling in as it was getting late. We stayed to listen to some story telling, drumming, piano accompanied by harp, duets and poets. As we listened I couldn't help but think about the woman I was and the woman I am today. It felt so right to be celebrating with Aria, appropriate as it is being a mother that has really formed the woman I have become.

3 comments:

Alice and Mother said...

Happy IWD from the other side of the world. I am really loving see my girl child grow into a young woman, I see you are too!

Karen said...

Sounds like such a lovely time - and she looks beautiful!

Molly said...

It seems wrong to comment on this for IWD but my gosh, Aria looks beautiful ( and really smart).

M