Friday, April 14, 2006

Simplicity

I enjoy being busy. I receive satisfaction in planning activities for myself and my family. While I am not a very organized person, nor do I pay close attention to details, I do find fulfillment in filling our days with trips, to do lists, visiting, errands, adventures, etc. It is the busyness that appeals to me, the doing. I am a very spontaneous person, spur of the moment unplanned explorations excite me. As long as there is doing. Stillness, sitting quietly, hanging out is very challenging for me. If I am watching t.v. I like to be writing lists, letters, sewing, knitting at the same time. If I am having a rest on the couch I do it while reading or planning out what I will do when I am done 'resting'.
It's Good Friday today, Chris is off work and the stores (more applicability the library :) ) are closed. Today we did nothing but hang out. Chris has this ability to do this with great ease. He enjoys the quiet, the absence of a plan, sitting together in the quiet. It has been a challenge for me to not step in and start cleaning, pull out an activity, organize us in gardening assignments. The feel and pace for the day was very calm, the kids just melt into the groove of the day, the dog gets pet, there are lots of cuddles and quiet moments. Although Chris and I are very similar in many ways- I am thankful he brings to our family some simplicity and encourages a slower pace at times.
While the two of us were commenting on the pace of the day we also reflected on the intention of the day (being passive and relaxed). For me I needed to be mindful of not planning, and intentionally let today be calm. Our family is not high tech, no cell phones, no blackberry, one channel on our t.v. I am at home with the kids, homeschooling, and Chris works with the philosophy that he works to live not live to work so his hours are relaxed. We are in awe of families who are constantly on the go; up at 6 am drop the kids at the sitters, drive through traffic for an hour, work at 9 am, lunch at a drive through while running errands, pick up kids from the sitter after work, dinner on the go while driving to swimming and dance, homework and bed. Despite the technology that has enter our society, a slower pace has not been an accompaniment.
As a result movements of intentional slowing down have emerged. One which has struck a cord with me has been the slow food movement. The average family eats out at a restaurant 3-5 times a week, the average fast food meal is prepared and ready in under 7 mins. The slow food movement is mindful of these types of statistics, encouraging people to gather around their kitchen table, enjoying home cooked food, eaten slowly without rush. The gifts of gathering around the table as a family are so bountiful. The conversation, the flavors savored, the enjoyment of good company and reconnection as a family. It is a time of day we love as a family.
Some other great resources on creating simplicity and other similar movements are worth looking into.

No comments: