Monday, January 04, 2010

Play Sets

This year I decided to make each of the kids a play set as one of their Christmas gifts from us. This was an easy decision for the two younger kids, numerous ideas came quickly to mind for what the play sets could be. The decision for my youngest and oldest became all the more easier when a friend happened to post two different tutorials , at two different times, with play sets I knew they would love.
For Shai, a dinosaur play mat. This included a set of small dinosaurs, a quilted mat with patches for rocks, water and meadow. I also included a cave, volcano and tree that is similar to the ones in the tutorial. It was perfect. Except, apparently dinosaurs don't like having their pictures taken. Who wants to argue with a dinosaur?


The idea of a play mat for an almost eleven year old might be pushing it for some, but Elias' imagination has always be alive and vivid. With it being a War of 1812 theme, my history buff would love it. I made six British and six American soldiers, with six pegs should he want to make his own Native representatives. There was also a book and a mat with a river, rocks and meadow. Also a hit.



Aria is still very much enjoying fairies, something that steals my own heart. I want to indulge and encourage it as long as it will last. I enjoyed not following a tutorial for this fairy house, embroidering here and there. To reside in the house was a fairy family, felt logs, embroidered sleeping bags and pillows. Very quickly are woodland felted friends came out of hiding to investigate the new additions.


Chris and I collaborated on Ben's set. We carried on the viking theme from his birthday. I made three viking bendy dolls and Chris made a viking ship, complete with oars and shields. The vikings and soldiers were soon trying to battle each other to take over dinosaur island Christmas morning!

3 comments:

Karen said...

Those are wonderful. You did a fantastic job.
K

amanda said...

you are very good at making things

ayla

gardening gal said...

Thanks :)

ayla- i bet you could teach me lots :)