Friday, May 16, 2008

Ever been stuck between a rock and a hard place????






Thankfully no one was stuck. The entrances (which was all I saw....I had to care for baby you know!) to the caves were quite small, the tunnels narrow. The kids had been spelunking in these caves before, and were excited to return to a local conservation area which boasts incredible caves.
Caving requires you to get out of a comfort zone (its cold, dark and small), trust your body to work for you, trust the people around you and be in the moment (so my kids tell me !). That is harder, I think, for adults then kids to do. Although interestingly my kids all appreciated knowing things aren't always easy for their adult friends, that sometimes we have limits.
We enjoyed a picnic afterwards in the ruins of a mill. The kids love to climb the stone walls and catch frogs in the pond area. Today they added algae fighting to their list of 'fun'. Yes, they throw handfuls of green slimy algae at each other. Not to fear dad, they all drove home in the buff so as not to slime the interior of the new van!!!

No comments: