Monday, August 21, 2006

The Joy of a Log....







































I read a few other blogs, mostly other homeschoolers or quirky women who live interesting lives. This time spent reading these blogs inspires me, rejuvenates me, noramalizes my often crazy thoughts, informs and educates me. I have found some fabulous resources for homeschooling and life in general from these blogs. One such blog shared her children's love of these nature themed Waldorf toys; fairies, animals, toadstools, logs, treehouses. My kids are constantly chopping up sticks, gathering baskets of rocks, drying flowers and then finding ways to bring them into the house. I must admit this drives me crazy. There is a trail of bark, sand, dried petals, broken branches all over the house. The house rule is that these are played with outside. I was so excited when I saw these toys because it provided a way for them to play creatively inside and for me to stop finding bits everywhere. The logs alone were $40 .....that's what I said. So I have a friend whose husband is great at woodworking, has all the gadgets the hobby requires and made us some. The kids have loved them. They are covered in linseed oil, so I appreciate the minimal clean up. Let the games begin.

No comments: