Sunday, March 05, 2006

The bubble popped :(

Elias and Ben were invited to attended a weekend sleepover this past weekend; Friday at 7pm until Sunday at 10am. The children are 4-7. Are they crazy? is our first reaction. Kids that young away from their families that long; late nights, early mornings, no cuddles, no kisses. Elias felt the same way we did- why would I want to do that? Ben thought it was the greatest thing ever. After lots of talk we came up with a plan for them to go for the day-a long day 9-8 with the option to call us at anytime to come home. We were worried that it was too much, that they may need us, but we were hoping it would be great fun and exciting. We went early to pick them up with the plan to stay a little while to transition. When we got there Elias ran into my arms and started to cry. He hated it. He didnt want to call us because he wanted Ben to stay because he said he liked it. He loves his brother so much. Ben was so angry, he didnt want to leave. It was difficult all around. Ben's anger didnt shake, and in talking it turned out there were lots of stuff he didnt like. He was teased, felt not included, ignored by the adults. I am sure the adults did the best they could with 15 sleep deprived kids. (but really big surprise there) But oh my heart broke, Ben wanted so badly for this to such a great day, friends and fun, exploring and adventure. It just wasnt.
I want to shelter my kids. I am totally comfortable feeling that and acting on it. In fact I think that is one of my roles as mother. It is one of the reasons I homeschool. Why is it that people think we need to expose our kids to experiences that will mold them, toughen them. I remember when Elias was a baby carrying him in a sling and some family saying I was going to spoil him. It was the same when I picked the kids from beavers, a mother said if I had just let them sleep over they would have had to get over missing me and deal with it, its better for them to learn that early on. The similar mentality for sending your children (crying and kicking) to preschool because they need to prepare for the separation at school. Hello...ooo..ooo is that the craziest thing you have heard or what!!!! I want my kids to know I support them either by their side or in the background. Sometimes things seem so mixed up. Deep breath, it is great knowing (at least time) that its not me who is mixed up!

No comments: