Tuesday, February 26, 2008

unxpected and so cherished





When Aria was a baby everyone around me was using sign language with their babies. There was lots of literature about the benefits, communication skills, increase in verbal language, autonomy, etc. Both Chris and I were intrigued enough to give it a try. Aria responded extremely well, she used about 20-25 signs on a regular basis to communicate her needs. She began talking very, very early. Her words were clear, understandable and numerous by a year old. I remember her running around on her first birthday saying "birf day, birf day". This is astounding for a one year old. So while signing definitely had its benefits, it was discarded surprisingly quickly.
We are using signing with Shai. The number of signs he has is increasingly daily. Not only are Chris and I signing with him, but all the kids are too. The other day he stood at his highchair grunting, clearly wanting something. I asked what it was he was wanting verbally and he responded, a drink and banana with signs. How great is that!!! I didn't have to guess what he was wanting, or go through the list of possibilities. He didn't get frustrated from being misunderstood, or angry from the wait. His clear request was met...all with ease.
The benefits have been amazing. But recently one so unexpected and truly heartwarming happened. I was nursing Shai, as I do a zillion times a day. I wasn't multi tasking this particular time, I was sitting enjoying the quiet. Stroking his hair, watching his cheeks move as he swallowed, feeling his soft skin. It was a wonderful quiet moment, in an other wise hectic day. Shai heard one of the other kids, sat up, got down to toddle off and see what they were doing. He took a few steps, stopped turned around , looked at me and signed 'thank you' with a big smile. Thank you.
My heart swelled.
'Thank you' I signed back. and off he toddled. Wow. That was one of those mothering moments that is permenantly inked on my heart.

3 comments:

Me said...

Oh Emma, that made tears come to my eyes. So wonderfully sweet. We used signs with Riley and I miss those chubby little fingers telling me what was on her mind. I love having conversations with her now, but those one year old expressions will alway be in my heart. Thank you for sharing such a special moment.

Karen said...

Stop that! You are making me cry AND want another.

beautiful - as always

amanda said...

Made me cry too :)