Wednesday, December 26, 2007

Made with Love



Since our first Christmas together (which will be 17 years this year!!!) Chris and I have made gifts for each other. Even before that my family have crafted gifts. Some of my fondest have been those made with love. One year my mum put together some favorite poems, photos and stories as to why they touched her in context to our relationship. Special notes of love from my Dad, and the stable he made (which we joked violated all building codes and would surely have killed baby Jesus). A hand sewn leather journal, the hand painted Angel we still put on our tree, a story, and many more from Chris.
We have loved continuing this tradition with our kids. I find as the kids get older this just seems to happen naturally. I really noted this year how little direction or involvement I had in the creating process. I have often suggested ideas, or asked what help was needed. This year everyone knew what they wanted to gift, how it would be and was often finished before I even inquired. Included were decorated mirrors, jewelry, eye glass holders, a quiver, ornaments, stars, and more. My favorite was a magic show the kids put together. I received an invite complete with a wax seal. They worked hard on their tricks and set the stage. (photos to come:)
Some of the gifts I enjoyed making and giving the most were nature bags for the kids made of jean. We never leave a hike without pockets filled with pine cones, seeds, sticks, friendly creatures, which have led to some amazing discoveries. I love the collecting...not so much in my pockets:) So combined with the Dangerous Book for Boys and the Daring Book for Girls, it was a gift for us all. I made the boys survival rolls with pockets for their first aid kits, sewing stuff, paper, pencil, compass etc. Aria isn't as interested in the survival part for the moment so I enjoyed making her a full tulle pink tutu with bubble gum pink ribbon (part of me is a little jealous ;P). Shai received for his 1st Christmas a knot doll and a textured fabric cube, the latter he just loves.
Blessings and gifts really did surround us this year, and we were left inspired for gifts to make not just for Christmas but through out the year.

No comments: